The reasons for using inclusive language are becoming increasingly important in today’s society. In this article, we discuss what inclusive language means, and how it relates to SEO.
What is Inclusive Language?
According to the Linguistic Society of America (LSA), it is defined as:
Why is it Important?
1. Promoting diversity and inclusivity: Inclusive language recognizes and respects the diversity of individuals and groups by avoiding language that may exclude or marginalize certain people based on their gender, race, religion, age, abilities, or other characteristics. By carefully choosing the words that we use, we create a more welcoming and inclusive environment for everyone.
2. Fostering equality and fairness: Inclusive text promotes equality and fairness by ensuring that all individuals and groups are represented and treated with respect. It helps to eliminate biases and stereotypes that may be perpetuated through language, allowing for a more balanced and just society.
3. Enhancing communication and understanding: When we use inclusive language, we communicate more effectively with others. By using words and phrases that are inclusive, we ensure that our message is clear and understandable to all, and we minimize the risk of miscommunication or misunderstanding.
4. Building positive relationships and connections: Inclusive wording helps to build positive relationships and connections with others. By using inclusive language, we show respect and consideration for the experiences, perspectives, and identities of others, which contributes to forming strong connections and fostering a sense of belonging.
5. Creating an inclusive workplace or educational environment: Language plays a crucial role in creating an inclusive workplace or educational environment. It helps to create a sense of belonging for all employees or students, contributes to a positive and respectful culture, and enhances collaboration and teamwork.
Inclusive Language and SEO
In a recent article from Yoast, it is clear that inclusive language should be an important part of your SEO strategy:
In fact, if you already have Yoast, and have upgraded to the Premium level, then you can activate the language analysis option in the Site Features section of the settings. This will then display alongside the SEO and Readability analysis.
If your website does not include language that is inclusive – or worse – actually alienates your readers, then they are likely to click away from your site.
If this happens frequently, then search engines will notice this pattern and your rankings may well be affected.
Here at AndiSites, we strive for the highest levels of inclusivity, both on our own site and for the sites that we design and create.
We offer a variety of services including analyzing and improving your site for the issues mentioned above, as well as other important aspects of accessibility and SEO.
Because when it comes down to it, if Google cares about something, we do too.